Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sabudana Kheer

Sabudana, also known as Sago, is used extensively in puddings and Indian kheers. Very good for digestion and very refreshing to have when cold. I remember having roti with either sabudana kheer or rice kheer for sehri in ramadhan while growing up, so I made it for this ramadhan as well. :) Yeah I know, very nostalgic and I derive some reassuring comfort when I make meals similar to the ones I had a child. *grins*

So anyway, what does sago look like?

Like this...but you can't just eat it right now. (No matter how tempted you may be. Trust me, I tried). You need to soak it till it doubles in size, turns soft and pearly white, almost translucent.



Ingredients required:

  • 1 litre milk
  • 1 cup, sabudana or sago, soaked for a few hours
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp cardamom powder, freshly ground

For the garnish,

  • 1 tbsp cashew nuts
  • 1 tbsp raisins
  • 1 tbsp ghee


Fry the nuts and raisins in ghee for a few minutes and keep it aside. Take a heavy pan, add a cup of milk and water to the sago and boil until it thickens. Add sugar and stir continuously. Cook for 10 minutes or until the sabudana is soft and transparent. You may taste it now, it will be slightly chewy. (Chewy's a word, right?)

Add the remaining milk, cardamom powder and stir. Now add the nuts and raisins. Very exciting to watch the ghee sputter on the contact with the milk. Try it.


Give it a good stir and we're done. Allow to cool and serve.




No comments: